|This article is need of a clean-up. You can help out Trans* Wiki by re-organizing parts of the article, checking grammar and spelling, and doing other helpful things to correct the article.
Transphobia is the hatred or fear of transpeople. Transphobic actions are those that hurt or damage trans people. Other terms, such as cissexism, cisgenderism and cisnormativity, place more stress on societal norms that enforce the gender binary but are occasionally used synonymously with transphobia.
Discriminatory or intolerant behaviour toward transsexuals might include harassment, assault, or murder. Direct forms of intolerance may also manifest themselves in non-violent ways. Indirect discrimination may include refusing to ensure that transgender people are treated in the same manner as non-transgender people.
Trans-bashing is the practice of victimizing someone because they are transgender and is a form of transphobia. Unlike gay bashing, it is attacking someone based on their gender identity rather than because of their predisposition regarding sexuality. Some believe that accusing transgender people of being victims of "gay-bashing" erases their identities and the truth of what happens to them.
See also Edit
- ↑ Crime reduction - Hate crimes. City of London Police. Retrieved on 2006-09-10.
- ↑ Guilty plea over transsexual bashing By Mariza O'Keefe in Herald Sun
- Thematic report on Discrimination against trans and intersex people on the grounds of sex, gender identity and gender expression, The European Commission, 2012.
- Press For Change: Transphobia - What is it and what is its impact?, Stephen Whittle OBE
- Remembering our Dead
- Survivor bashing - bias motivated hate crimes
- Brown, K. (2001). Transsexual, Transgender and Intersex History: Gay, Lesbian and Feminist Backlash. Retrieved May 26, 2003 from www.transhistory.net, see "TransHistory"
- Transgender Law Center