The rate of suicide attempts among transgender and gender non-conforming individuals is 41 percent compared to 4.6 percent for the general population and 10-20 percent rate for lesbian, gay and bisexual adults.
- being young (between 18 and 24)
- being multiracial
- being American Indian or Alaska Native
- not going to college
- having a lower annual household income (less than $10,000)
- being HIV-positive
- having a disability. especially a mental health condition that substantially affects a major life activity
- being rejected by friends, family or peers
- being refused medical care because of their trans status
- abuse by law officers
- support of friends and family or even just contact
- getting into college
- having a roof over their head
- having a job
- ↑ Haas, Ann P.; Rodgers, Philip L.; Herman, Jody L. (January 2014). Suicide Attempts among Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Adults. http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf.